Business Card Design

It's been a few years since I designed myself a business card. Really, my website serves as a business card since that's how people find me, but every now and then, it would be nice to have something to hand someone in person.

So - that's the goal.

When I redesigned my work-site, robsdemo.com, I based the design on creating a letterbox effect, similar to the look of watching a widescreen DVD on TV. That gave me this:

a new robsdemo

As it all came together, I realized the site design could also make for a great business card design. Here's a very rough draft (and that's why the text will look choppy). It's a very rough draft.

- The Front -

- The Back -

Next, I decided to take a look at what others have done in terms of designing creative business cards. Here are some great resources for brainstorming.

Cool Designs: Creative Bits

Six Uniquely Creative Cards: nclud

More great ideas: Shaun Inman

43 more! Creative News

A giant photoset of them: Flickr

Even more: J David Macor

Whoooooo... there's a lot there to digest. I'll have to tinker some more with my design when I have a moment. I think I'm on the right track... but...

...?

::::: | Sunday, May 20 2007 at 1:10 PM

Comments:

Martin Ringlein said:

Slick -- I like the simplicity and style; love the personality of it. Not a huge fan of gray, but that is a personal subjective opinion.

::::: | May 20, 2007 6:41 PM

Sharkbait said:

I like it. I like gray. 2 thoughts though...
1. The ampersand in your email address is a bit huge. Kinda sticks out.
2. Bank Gothic is everywhere. Movie trailers, lawyers BCs, book titles, corporate branding. It's a GREAT font, but...it's so very common. When it goes out of style it will look very 2000s.

::::: | May 20, 2007 7:13 PM

To be honest, the only font I'm really sold on is the handwriting font that my name is done in. The rest is done temporarily for the sake of tinkering.

I'm hoping the gray will look more silver in print. If it doesn't, I also did a version of the card in orange that looks really good in print (more so than in a pic anyway). A friend said it looked more like a wheat color than orange. So, I have a second option if the gray looks too gray. When I printed it, it looked silver though, and I enjoyed that.

God, working with color to print instead of color for the screen is soooo different. Ugh!

::::: | May 20, 2007 10:58 PM

Martin Ringlein said:

Show us the orange version -- I'd be interested in seeing what that looks like. I've been a big fan of using orange recently.

I agree with the comment about the font -- but didn't have any good recommendations for you. How about using the font you use in your "logo" at the top of the site?

::::: | May 21, 2007 4:53 AM

J David said:

Cool business card. Oh, and thanks for the link too!

::::: | May 22, 2007 10:39 AM

Please type the letter "s" in this box

::::: | All Content © 2004-2012