iHeart Apple

Holy crap! If you haven't updated your iTunes player yet, you really should (especially since it's free! Get it here).

One of my biggest complaints about the shift from physical media (records, tapes and CDs) to digital media (mp3, m4a, etc) has been the loss of album art. Oh, it was still there... sort of.

With iTunes 7, Apple brought back album art in a big way.

iTunes 7

iTunes 7

Even if you didn't buy your music from the iTunes Store, you can still use iTunes to get it. Just create an account there (you don't even have to buy anything).

Before I went to bed last night, I clicked my iTunes library and selected all - yes, all - of my 9253 songs. Then, under the "Advanced" menu, I clicked "Get Album Art."

...and then, I went to bed.

By morning, iTunes had downloaded all of the covers it could find. It appears to have gotten over 95% of them, and most of the ones it didn't find are either rare, or poorly labeled.

iTunes 7

iTunes sorts albums however your library is sorted at the time.

By random play order:

iTunes 7

By artist (David Gray):

iTunes 7

...and so on, and so forth.

I love being able to flip through album covers...

iTunes 7

God, I heart Apple!

::::: | Thursday, Sep 14 2006 at 11:18 AM

Comments:

mandedah said:

wow, that is cool! Speaking of apple, what kind of laptop should I get for school? what kind of ipod? I'm planning on buying one of each next week... big news for me!

::::: | September 14, 2006 11:41 AM

Hydra said:

Yeah, actually it's really cool. But it got many of my albums incorrect. :( It seems to have gone by the song, not the album. So for the many songs that came from compilation albums, it took the first song, found the original album that song was on and then applied that album artwork to all other songs on that compilation cd--even other artists! I don't see an easy way to fix this. I'll need to remove the artwork then search out the correct one and manually add it to each song. Well, at least it's better than what I used to have--nothing!

::::: | September 17, 2006 1:57 PM

Hydra said:

And how is it that they have Pink Martini but not The Beatles cover art?!

But I just love scrolling through the artwork. I feel like I'm standing in front of a jukebox.

::::: | September 17, 2006 2:00 PM

I haven't had that happen - but I have found myself wanting to add the covers I'm missing.

Here are a few quick ways to do that.

Go to google and click "images." The type the artist name and album name. Presto! CD covers! Right-button click on the image you want, and then select "Copy Image." Paste it into the "Artwork" tab in the iTunes song get-info box.

Another good place to look is on amazon. Again, search for artist and album, and they often have covers... even some rare ones. I've had the best luck on google images.

::::: | September 17, 2006 2:02 PM

Are Beatles albums for sale on iTunes yet? I think they're one of those bands that won't let their stuff be sold for download.

::::: | September 17, 2006 2:05 PM

Please type the letter "d" in this box