This Is Nuts

Yesterday, after the story broke that the government is building the largest database in the history of man consisting of the records of every phone call made by every American, Republicans scrambled to do damage control.

"This is nuts. We are in a war. And we've got to collect intelligence on the enemy, and you can't tell the enemy in advance how you're going to do it. And discussing all of this stuff in public leads to that."

- Republican Senator Jon Kyl of Arizona

I didn't realize my phone book was actually a listing of American enemies.

I didn't realize *I* was the enemy.

If I am my government's enemy, who exactly does my government represent?

::::: | Thursday, May 11 2006 at 1:14 PM

Comments:

JustaDog said:

Damage control? LOL

Today's Washington Post:

The new survey found that 63 percent of Americans said they found the NSA program to be an acceptable way to investigate terrorism, including 44 percent who strongly endorsed the effort. Another 35 percent said the program was unacceptable, which included 24 percent who strongly objected to it.

Guess those that stand AGAINST the security of our country are in the minority.

::::: | May 12, 2006 10:42 AM

Note that you didn't comment on the content of the post. Grin. Maybe that's because you're the enemy too.

I appreciate that you spend so much time on my site though.

Cheers.

::::: | May 12, 2006 10:45 AM

greenink said:

yeah, well, it took the Germans a long time to figure out the whole "creeping fascism" thing, too.

It gets worse, really. Check this out from cNet today: Congress may consider mandatory ISP snooping.

Yep. Our friends in Washington want to monitor our internet habits, too. Of course, people like Just A Dog will roll over and beg at the feet of their masters for that one, too. Funny that conservatives are all starting to get into that old Janis Joplin lyric: "Freedom's just another word, for nothing left to lose..."

But I don't think they get it.

::::: | May 12, 2006 12:56 PM

Hydra said:

Is it ironic, coincidental, or ... (?) that the image I see at the top of the jalpuna site right now is a pic of the "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" monkeys?

Maybe you need to start associating photos with particular posts...or maybe you've already started. :)

::::: | May 12, 2006 6:31 PM

Whoa - this is crazy. As I type this, I'm looking at the Monkeys Pic too. The odds of that so slim since I've got over 300 pictures randomly rotating up there. I generally keep 40 newer ones rotating on the main page and as I add new ones, the older ones get moved to the archives folder.

Here's some semi-evil no-evil-monkey humor for ya! The monkeys are lined up on a shelf in my kitchen, and the speak no evil monkey is holding up a sign. The sign is actually a pin attached to a shish-kabob type stick so it looks like a monkey-sized protest sign.

The pin has a W, like the george w bush W with an American flag coming out of the side, below which it says "We're Fucked."

I love it!

::::: | May 13, 2006 2:07 AM

Hydra said:

I think I've seen a photo of that pin on your site. But you need to add a photo of the monkey holding the protest sign. That sounds awesome!

::::: | May 13, 2006 1:37 PM

Please type the letter "h" in this box