">

Hello Old Friend

An apartment I used to live in just got posted for rent on Craigslist. The owner contacted me to ask if I still had the ad I wrote for him when I moved out - which, of course, I saved (because I save everything)

The unit is in the Cornerstone Condominiums building. I lived here from August of 2002 through November of 2004. Oddly enough, it's only a block or so from where I'm at now. This place is screaming with potential for the right person, and the owner is faaaaaantastic.

Who can resist those windows?

Here's the Craigslist ad. Can you tell I wrote it? I'll be curious to see how quickly someone snaps the place up.

::::: | Wednesday, Apr 26 2006 at 12:01 AM

Comments:

J said:

Wow the day has come that i can honestly say "YOU SUCK!" ;) You know i was looking for an apartment downtown and you didn't tell me about this before posting it on craigslist!! it's probably gone now.

Oh well. I still love ya!

::::: | April 26, 2006 10:42 AM

OK - two things:

A: I am an idiot.
B: You know that if you move there, I'm going to quote Mr. Rogers all the time.

---------------

It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood,
A beautiful day for a neighbor.
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?...

It's a neighborly day in this beauty wood,
A neighborly day for a beauty.
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?...

I've always wanted to have a neighbor just like you.
I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you.

So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?
Won't you please,
Won't you please?
Please won't you be my neighbor?

::::: | April 26, 2006 10:55 AM

Mari said:

Here's a weird question -- Did you Photoshop out a kitty in the kitchen picture or is the one on Craigslist a different picture?

Just curious! :)

::::: | April 26, 2006 11:07 AM

It's a different picture. A few of the pics look really similar, and some are, but some aren't. Also, you can probably tell by looking at the pics above that they were taken at different times.

I have a set of ten of those black and white prints hanging. When I lived in this place, I used to get bored and rotate them. I noticed that the Jim Henson and Kermit print is in the living room and in the office pics - which isn't possible since all ten prints are different.

I really wish I'd taken a full set of pictures of this place when I lived there.

::::: | April 26, 2006 11:13 AM

Well, it's me again... Rob... I just stumbled onto this entry while looking for something else, and I laughed as I scrolled through the old comments.

My friend J and I took a look at good old 404 in late spring 2006, but she decided it wasn't for her, so she passed. A few months later, she found a place within spitting distance - literally (assuming you're a kickass spitter, of course - which, by the way, I'm willing to bet you are. Kudos to you).

What I find particularly interesting is the way different people view the same space. I constantly got compliments on my home when I lived here, but she was right to pass this one by. It wasn't for her. And yet, here I am, looking at these pictures three and a half years after I took them, and I think back so fondly on this space.

Prices have exploded in this part of town, but a gem is still a gem. I paid $700 a month from summer 2002 to fall of 2004. It probably rents for close to $900 in 2008. But a gem is still a gem.

I hope those who came after me have treated this space kindly. When I last saw it in the summer of 2006, it looked like a dorm room. I felt as if I was seeing an old friend suffer and I felt sad.

Forest Gump reminded us that stupid is as stupid does. It's probably also true that trashy is as trashy does, but don't confuse the makeup with the bones.

This place has good bones, regardless of the makeup occupants disguise it with. It's not for everyone, but it's got plenty of potential for anyone who can see the beauty within.

::::: | March 4, 2008 11:40 PM

Please type the letter "u" in this box

::::: | All Content © 2004-2012