God Damn Christian Values

The eleventh commandment should read: "Thou shall not be a fraud in God's name, you dumbass holier than thou son of a bitch."

Make no mistake: I'm not badmouthing Christianity here. I've got friends who are Christians and who truly believe. They live their lives accordingly, and I have not one bad thing to say about that. In fact, I consider myself proud to know such people.

I am badmouthing people who preach Christianity while failing to uphold Christian values.

On Monday, Pat Robertson, the 700 Club hosting Christian Coalition right wing holy-rolling nutjob and major Bush supporter, openly called on the U.S. government to murder Hugo Chavez, the elected president of Venezuela.

"If he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think we really ought to go ahead and do it."

"It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war."

- Pat Robertson

That's only a snippet of what he had to say. Here's the video of his remarks in full.

Forget about the fact that Pat Robertson is advocating the murder of a world leader. Forget about that... Hugo Chavez might be a bad man for all I know - but isn't Hugo Chavez one of God's people as well?

I think someone needs to remind Pat about the ten commandments. Specifically, commandment number six.

"Thou shall not kill."

I don't understand people who consider themselves to be Christians but fail to uphold even the most basic Christian values. I can't understand a so-called religious leader who approves of murder. I can't understand how anyone who considers oneself to be a "Christian" can support murder. That's what war is, right? It's murder. We send our guys with guns and bombs over there to murder those people so they'll stop doing whatever it is that we don't approve of. Granted, those guys over there might be doing bad stuff. But those guys were created by the same God who created us, right? Assuming you buy into that mumbojombo, which I don't. But surely religious leaders must believe! Right? And yet, it seems we've got no shortage of bible-beating zealots in favor of murder. Don't kill fetuses they say... but grown men are fine and dandy for the killin'... here's a big gun with lots of ammo. We'll fly you over to where the men we want dead are. Let's roll.

Stop.

Think about the beliefs you hold dear.

When you cast your religious beliefs aside in favor of the politics of the day, you are a fraud.

Pat Robertson is a fraud. But his religious 'beliefs' have made him a very rich fraud. Maybe I should be religious too?

Yes, I know that after two days of political pressure, Pat Robertson retracted his words via a written statement. In it, he said "Is it right to call for assassination? No, and I apologize for that statement". But isn't it fascinating that this so-called man of God still firmly believes in murder? He apologized for his statement, but he did not say he was wrong to advocate murder.

Pathetic.

I really hope I'm wrong about the whole God thing. No, really... I hope there is a God. And a Saint Peter, and the whole silly fairy tale. I hope it's all true. I very much enjoy the thought of Saint Peter at the gates of heaven with a giant book. And as men like Pat Robertson step forward, Saint Peter thumbs through his book and says: "It is written that during your time on Earth, there was great suffering, and many of Gods children were hurt, tortured and even killed. And, it says here that you aligned yourself with the murderers."

I picture big blank stares on the faces of men who put their politics above their spiritual beliefs.

............In closing:

A note to Saint Peter: Dude! Save that link I posted above... It'll come in handy.

And a note to Pat Robertson: Dude! Three words: Flame. Retardant. Jacket. Eternity's a long time. Bring a flame retardant jacket - and marshmallows. Lots and lots of marshmallows.

::::: | Thursday, Aug 25 2005 at 12:32 AM

Comments:

bonnie said:

Amen!

(It took me a few seconds to remember the word "Amen". I was like, what's that religious word you can say when you agree with something ...)

::::: | August 25, 2005 1:24 AM

Keith said:

Rob,

A thing to keep in mind when it comes to Christians. Coming from a position in my life when I was not a Christian, drank, had sex, etc..as much as I could to NOW, being a born-again Christian I have come to realize this:

A Christian should not be looked up to as a perfect person who is holier than thou. A true Christian is one who saw the need for Jesus Christ, the only perfect person, in his life and accepted that need. True, there is power in the name of Jesus which allows Christians to be strong against sin, we are by no means perfect.

Also please note: this is not a defense statement for Pat Robertson.

~Keith

::::: | August 25, 2005 9:53 AM

I call it the conviction of convenience. It sure is easy to 'believe' when one need not act accordingly.

Pat Robertson = Christian.
Pat Robertson = Pro-War.

Bush = Christian.
Bush = Pro-War.

WAR = KILL.

The sixth commandment = thou shall not kill.

If I were a Christian, I would consider it an insult when both world and religious leaders treat Christianity like a Chinese take out menu.

Is one really a Christian if one fails to uphold some of the most basic of Christian values?

::::: | August 25, 2005 10:40 AM

Keith said:

One is a Christian merely by having faith in Jesus Christ. Romans 3 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=52&chapter=3&version=31) sums up the doctrine of Christianity quite nicely (notes from me are enclosed in brackets []):

::::: | August 25, 2005 11:48 AM

Anonymous said:

typical bible freaks. go ahead and kill, but make sure you have jesus in your heart. we killed something like 30,000 iraqi citizens already and we're still killing. YAY JESUS!

::::: | August 25, 2005 1:31 PM

Gary said:

Christians are human, human's aren't perfect ... therefore Christians aren't perfect. Ok I buy it. But Christians that tell other Christians how to behave in a Christ-like lifesytle and continue to violate the rules in the rule book (Bible) and act in very UN-Christ-like selfish power and cash greedy manner, as Mr. Pat does ... should be ashamed and repent (for real this time) before his savior and God.

I'm Agnostic .. and actions like these keep me that way.

::::: | August 25, 2005 11:49 PM

Gretchen said:

Itís a tricky subject. Not all Christians believe the same things. I was raised Lutheran (pastorís daughter). Lutherans donít see eye-to-eye with other Christians, like Catholics for example. Some Lutherans would go so far as to say that Catholics arenít really Christians because of the Virgin Mary thing. Even the Lutheran church is broken down into various groups and they donít agree on everything either. ELCA Lutherans are far more accepting of gays than Missouri Synod Lutherans. Many Christians feel that Mormans are not Christians at all, but Mormans think they are totally Christian.

So you have Lutheran, Episcopalian, Methodist, Baptist, Catholic, Charismatic, Born-Again, Assembly of God, Church of Christ, Seventh Day Adventist, Jehovahís Witness, Church of the Nazarene, Mormon, Pentecostal, Amish, Calvinist, Christian Scientist, Orthodox, Presbyterian, Mennonite, and maybe Unitarian. Iím sure Iíve left several out. Most of these denominations are convinced that their way is the only way, and can quote scripture in a way that supports their view. They canít all be right though, now, can they?

In my view, religion and faith are two separate matters. Religions are created to control behavior and people choose their religion based on what behaviors they believe need controlling the most. People generally are less interested in controlling their own behavior as much as they are interested in controlling the behavior of those around them. This is why the separation of Church and State is absolutely essential.

Unfortunately, televangelists and the religious right are often seen as the face of Christianity because they get a lot of media play. They do not speak for all Christians. They do not speak for me. Iím offended that they use the name of God and manipulate scripture to justify war and the murder of innocent civilians. Jesus taught infinite forgiveness. Murder is a form of revenge and revenge is the antithesis of forgiveness. When you ask yourself what would Jesus have done in the aftermath of 9/11, the answer is that He would have forgiven the people responsible.

I do believe that war is a necessary evil in some cases, but itís still evil and not sanctioned by God. Mankind has to use whatever conflict resolution methods are available and effective and sometimes war is the only thing that is going to work(however war was hardly the only alternative in the Iraq situation). And it's probably a good idea when you are going to start a war that you have a plan for how to win the war and rebuild afterwards. It's really not conflict resolution with out those things.

Iím skeptical of the motives of anyone who would have you believe that they are doing Godís work by engaging in government sanctioned murder (war/death penalty/assination) Ė like say George W. Bush or Pat Robertson.

::::: | August 26, 2005 2:53 AM

jedi moon said:

War is sanctioned by God. Right in the Bible it speaks of the war between Heaven and Hell.

::::: | December 16, 2005 1:19 PM

Michael said:

No real comments, but I just wanna say how much I;ve enjoyed reading this...

::::: | December 8, 2006 10:14 PM

AJ said:

Dubya is not a Christian because anyone who worships money cannot be a Christian. Everyone has every right to dislike that shitbag. But do not intangle his name in my faith nor allow his "ramblings" about Jesus as a philospher or his head bowing and God's name invoking as a gesture of his faith. He is a mouthpiece for the establishment and we all know it. As far as Pat Robertson goes, who knows. Just 15 years ago he had a book out about The New World Order called well The New World Order. He named some of everybody as complicit in the plot. Maybe now Satan has his brain!

::::: | December 12, 2006 3:08 PM

And what about the rest of the religious right, who find it all too easy to send other people's children overseas with guns to kill?

What would Jesus do?

::::: | December 12, 2006 4:27 PM

Please type the letter "k" in this box